From Prototype #1 I learned that the 3/8″ thick slats were too springy so I increased the back and seat slats up to 7/16″ and 1/2″ thick, respectively. The seat slats in Prototype #1 extended through slots in the back to prevent them from rotating. For Prototype #2, I reduced their length and took off the point on the end.
I built a nicer-looking frame out of ash. I had originally used floating tenons (Dominoes) to join the rails and stretchers but they failed. For additional strength, I added two pocket screws and a metal angle bracket to each corner and epoxied the frame back together, but the stresses still won. I learned that I needed to get serious with the joinery.
When I first built this version, I had included two rear legs. I decided that they weren’t necessary and I didn’t like their look so I removed them.
Next: Ash Chair Prototype #3