Size: 8-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 27 inches high, just low enough to make me sit and not lean on it.
Materials: A chunk of leftover maple from making my tail vise, a scrap of walnut that I found at the local lumber yard that was going to be a spoon, and three maple dowels for the legs & cross pieces.
The biggest challenge was the support pieces for the legs. I wanted a kind of funky looking art deco kind of stool. I used to make bike frames, and thought mitering the deal that keeps the legs from spreading would be a neat idea. And then a dowel through it would be neat Turns out that’s easier to do with metal. The fitup is okay, but a drill press is not a mill and a metal file doesn’t do much to wood. In the end I figured it out / got an okay fit, but it for sure exposes weaknesses in both planning and execution. The dowel bit was way harder than I thought it would be, we’ll see if it falls apart.
It was a lot of fun, I started with a laminated board and ended with a coat of shellac on it in one day.
Thanks for putting this together. I picked up the idea of woodworking on a whim at the end of November last year and have 1/2 built a lot of things, but this is the first thing I’ve finished from that wasn’t a work bench or saw bench. Thanks so much for putting it together, was nice to have a project to go after that was manageable and fun!