I’ve given away two things so far, a Ridgid Air Filter and some spalted maple. The air filter went within four minutes and the maple went within two minutes. Now, it was exciting to have woodworkers following my blog so closely, but it was unfair to those who don’t spend their days tied to their computers.
That’s not what I wanted, so I’m changing the rules.
Instead of first-come, first-serve, I’m going to allow readers to show their interest by way of a comment for a set duration. Then I’ll put into a hat the names of those interested and choose a winner.
Here are the details, updated:
- I will post a picture and brief description of the item or group of items up for grabs. There will be some wood, hand tools, power tools, accessories, random shop stuff, and even a clamp or two. Most tools will be in good-to-excellent shape;
- Comment if you want it! I suggest you subscribe to this blog so you get notified when I post something. If you want the item(s), leave a comment on that particular post and let me know if you can pick it up or if you need it shipped. (I am willing to ship, but you are responsible for all shipping costs. I can get a shipping quote and will ship once I’ve received funds to cover my shipping costs. I have a PayPal account with which I can collect funds.);
- After a set period of time, which I will announce in the post, I will enter into a Random Chooser the names of those interested and let the program draw a winner. I will announce the winner in the comments section and contact them to arrange a pick-up time or shipping details. If the first person chosen changes their mind, I’ll have another name chosen;
- Nothing is going to be shipped before Christmas (I am not doing this to make money). If you are local, we may be able to work out a time to pick up the item(s) before or after Christmas;
- Items up for grabs will be trickling in over the next month (or probably, longer) so stick around;
- If there is something you REALLY want, I take bribes in the form of Felder machinery, Bridge City tools and Sauer & Steiner planes; and finally,
- No phone calls, please!
Read why I am doing this HERE.
12 thoughts on “Revised Rules for my Overflow Shop Giveaway”
The rules change is much appreciated.
Sounds good to me. I’m one of those who has to work for a living and can’t be at the computer to check for things all the time.
Fine print sometimes is good, as is this one.
Merry White Christmas to all,
I am not satisfied with this arrangement ; )
You want to hear from us. Well, what if we want to know more about you?
This is a two way INTERACTION media it not? Not quiet web 2.0 but getting close.
I think interaction is the fun part and I think you do too. : )
So rather than random, how about something that shows a little bit more of your style and personality. Like what gets you going? Light this thing up, you have our attention. How about you choose from the winner quality of the comment. Or perhaps the humor level, depth, detail or what you like. So, what do you like? I bet the players here are game for whatever you are…
I hit the button too soon and was still editing. Sorry about that. Meant to this:
I am not satisfied with this arrangement ; )
You want to hear from us, well, what if we want to know more about you?
This blog is a two way INTERACTION media it not? Not quiet web 2.0 but close.
I think interaction is the fun part, and I think you do too. : )
So rather than random, how about something that shows a little bit more of your style and personality. Like whatever gets you going? Light this thing up, you have our attention. How about you choose the winner by the quality of their comment. Or perhaps the humor level, depth, detail or whatever you like. So, what do you like? I bet the players here are game for whatever you are…
Thanks for challenging my thinking! I appreciate it.
I like your ideas and did give those ideas some thought before revising the rules. The reason I went with the Random Chooser is that I would like to leave myself out of the equation so I cannot be accused of favouritism.
I will continue to think about the ideas you’ve suggested and may implement something along those lines in the future.
I do not like to challenge people, but I like to challenge thinking, concepts, logic etc – including my own of course. You said: “The reason I went with the Random Chooser is that I would like to leave myself out of the equation so I cannot be accused of favouritism.”
The key phrase here is “I would like to leave myself out of the equation”. That is highly likely to go against interaction. I get the impression that is what you are after, interaction. Not just any interaction, but the kind you enjoy.
My personal comment to you is, “that is what I do not like” that you are out of the equation. You are the only living thing here to interact with. Without you this blog has no life – other than the people that reply when they do. Without interaction, it is a monolog. Something to consider…
I have been pondering what to do differently on my blog this year. So far, to not block interaction (in ways I did not realize I was even doing) and to include a broader range of expression, are on my list. This comment on your blog is meant to be supportive, interactive and to try learn and share.
Forgive any typos…
I believe that constructive criticism is one of the greatest signs of caring and support. For that, I thank you.
good idea Chris, and I like your objective approach. i’m glad to be free from the oppressive and enslaving nature of your tyranny MAKING me stay in front of the computer. No seriously, your thinking makes sense, ’cause I did feel bad for those folks who have real jobs to attend to and don’t have the convenience or time to watch twitter and read blogs on their phones during the day. Best, and happy holidays.
Thanks for the humourous comment.
Good luck and happy holidays to you and your family.
I for one will be following this, and thanks very much, I’ve never heard of anything like this. I have a very ill equipped shop and really have not the means to change that but I try to do the best I can with what I have but it does limit my project choices somewhat. I hope I get picked for something.