I just completed a new cribbage board, but this one was made much differently from the others. I scaled up the board, and added a base to transform it into a table. I had some fun with the base. For the stretcher, I used the bandsaw to cut three slits of graduated lengths in one end … Continue reading Beware of Step 27
I recently learned that the fine print doesn't always contain the most important, critical information. First I Researched I've been experimenting with casting using the Smooth-On's Crystal Clear resin and did my first pour in the making of Deconstructed. The resin wasn't cheap and casting was new to me, so I did my research before purchasing the … Continue reading How to Read Instructions
Today, I completed Deconstructed, making it the first piece of 2013. Although there are a couple of things that didn't go the way I wanted, I am very happy with the result. I find myself loving it more the longer I am around it. (The same can be said with most of my woodwork.) The shelf … Continue reading Deconstructed – Finished Shots and Reflective Thoughts
In Session 1, Session 2, Session 3 and Session 4 I began working on an exploded shelf I'm calling Deconstructed. I finished the last session by filling in air bubbles with epoxy. Today, in the final session of this Tweet-Along, I completed the shelf, including applying the first coat of finish. As always, I documented my progress live on Twitter … Continue reading Deconstructed, Session 5
In Session 1, Session 2, and Session 3 I began working on an exploded shelf I'm calling Deconstructed. I finished the last session by pouring clear resin around the wood parts set in a mould made of waxed melamine. Tuesday, I unmoulded the casting. If everything had gone perfectly, all that would have been required would have … Continue reading Deconstructed, Session 4
Earlier this month in Session 1 and Session 2, I began working on a new project. I had cut parts for the mould and begun waxing them. Yesterday, I finished waxing the mould and poured the resin. As always, I documented my progress live on Twitter using hashtag #FlairWW (follow me @FlairWoodworks) which was useful because each update had … Continue reading Deconstructed, Session 3
Last week, in Session 1, I began working on a new project. I finished the day with three parts for a shelf and the task of researching casting resins. Yesterday, I bought Smooth-On's Crystal Clear resin and proceeded with the build. As always, I documented my progress live on Twitter using hashtag #FlairWW (follow me @FlairWoodworks) which was useful … Continue reading Deconstructed, Session 2
One thing that I force myself to do is to inspect the various cutting edges in my shop regularly. Because they are constantly subject to wear, their cutting abilities are gradually diminished and eventually, the cut becomes labourious. With power tools, cutters dull as they cut, but another enemy is heat build-up. A fast feed … Continue reading Clean Your Blades and Bits!